Electronic document management (EDM) is a system of automated processes for processing electronic documents, which implements the concept of “paperless office work”.
The introduction of electronic document management allows an enterprise to obtain the following advantages:
- single registration of a document, which allows it to be accurately identified in the system;
- parallel execution of several operations, which reduces the time of document movement and increases the efficiency of execution;
- continuous movement of the document, which makes it possible to identify the person responsible for its execution at any time in the process;
- a single base of documents, excluding the possibility of duplication;
- effective search for a document if there is minimal information about it;
- an effective reporting system that allows you to control the movement of the document at each stage of the workflow.
Basic EDM functions can be as follows:
- creation of an electronic version of the document;
- creating an attribute card of the document; formation of text from a ready-made template with substitution of variable values from the document card;
- search for document cards;
- formation of an electronic document using a template on the company’s letterhead;
- saving documents in various formats;
- creation of document routes and control of its movement;
- keeping journals, classifiers and reference books;
- registration and classification of documents registered in the program; sending out reminders and notifications;
- coordination of documents;
- generation of reports on the movement and execution of documents.